Welcome to the 7th installment for #Blogtober16. A month of posts, a different theme everyday.
Todays theme/question is ‘What made you start blogging?’. In all honesty I can’t really remember. I’ve been doing this for nearly 5 years now. I remember it started as a little online journal with our newborn, and I wasn’t particularly fussed about creating a blog at all. My husband works in digital marketing and we definitely spoke about bloggers he had worked with and spent a lot of time looking at other peoples blogs. I don’t recall choosing a blog name, nor setting the blog up. I think he did that for me (without my knowledge/consent). I genuinely don’t know.
Basically… it happened by accident. And as I approach our 5 year bloggerversary I can say it has been amazing. I have seen some amazing things, had some superb opportunities and had great fun. AND I’ve never taking it seriously either, It’s always just been a bit of fun- which is exactly what it’s supposed to be. I know A LOT about blogging (my husband knows more) yet, I am not in the tots100 or do I ever win any awards. That’s just not my thang yo.
If you are thinking of starting a blog, here are 10 of my very own tips for you to follow… so you can make it to the 5 year mark.
- Write for yourself. It has to be about you, for you. But it is nice if other people read it too.
- Join some fb blogging groups. Its nice to read what they post, but take it all with a pinch of salt.
- Don’t get obsessed with stats and numbers. Age is just a number and so is your DA (Domain Authority, but you don’t really need to know about that).
- Write genuine content. Stuff that you want to write about. I can always tell when someone has written a post on a subject they enjoy, it just reads better. Lots of sponsored posts and reviews look a bit naff. Keep it real homie.
- Choose a blog name that will still be relevant in 10 years time. Mum-to-One works now… until you get pregnant again. (I apologise if there is a blog called Mum-to-one, and you see this. No offence.)
- Yeah you get stuff for free, days out, products and nights away but you have to work a bit to get it. Don’t just start a blog because you want free sh*t. Yeah you get it, but it takes a while.
- Don’t be afraid to offend people. I recently wrote something which resulted in myself being threatened with a law suit. Bov’vered.
- You don’t have to blog every day. It gets boring if you do it every day (unless you want to of course) and your content will suffer.
- Become a social media whore. People like that.
- Remember its just a website. Real life comes first.
and an extra one… 11: Don’t listen to the other mummy bloggers.
4 Ways To Make Your Wedding Party Extra Fun
Now, don’t get us wrong: the vast majority of weddings are fun. People are in ...read more
Who Remembers The Phone Book?
Do you ever wake up in the morning with a completely random thought in your ...read more
Questions I Ask Myself As A Parent
How many pushes did it take to get them all out (collectively)? How many pairs ...read more
WTF Facebook Adverts
Ahhh, Facebook. You'll casually be scrolling down; You BFF's kids, funny cat videos and the ...read more