Many of you may know that we have a lot of pets. 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 budgie, 10 chickens and 4 fish.
This morning we added another member to our tribe! ‘His’ name is Brian and ‘he’ is a Giant African Land Snail! GAL snails make super easy pets, great for those who don’t want to commit to a pet that requires lots of attention, or cash!
Giant Africa Land Snail facts
- GAL snails have a life expectancy of 5-10 years!
- They can grow up to 30cm in length!
- These awesome snails are herbivores and love salads and fruits!
- Maturity is reached at 6 months, but they never stop growing!
- GAL snails are hermaphrodites. They have both male and female sexual organs, but still require another snail to mate. But there has been rare reported cases of self fertilisation!
- Snails can lay up to 200 eggs per reproductive cycle!
- They like to bury themselves in soil during the day!
I used to keep Giant African Land Snails as a teenager, and it was only last night that I decided to buy one for my girls to enjoy. My husband also kept these snails when he was a young boy. It seems that keeping these pets is a right of passage for all kids.
Would you like to keep Giant African Land Snails? Let me know in the comments below.
Is Your Dog A Happy Dog?
Dogs can’t tell you how they feel, but they can certainly show it. The way ...read more
A Special Christmas Treat With Furbo: The Treat Tossing Dog Camera (Review)
Advertisement My 2 dogs Scrapper and Dixie were given an extra special treat for Christmas. I ...read more
Welcome Home Dixie
We would love to take the time to welcome the newest member of the Newhouse ...read more
What Makes A Happy Cat?
Owning a cat is obviously a big responsibility, and you want to do everything that ...read more