Many of you may know that we have a lot of pets. 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 budgie, 10 chickens and 4 fish.
This morning we added another member to our tribe! ‘His’ name is Brian and ‘he’ is a Giant African Land Snail! GAL snails make super easy pets, great for those who don’t want to commit to a pet that requires lots of attention, or cash!
Giant Africa Land Snail facts
- GAL snails have a life expectancy of 5-10 years!
- They can grow up to 30cm in length!
- These awesome snails are herbivores and love salads and fruits!
- Maturity is reached at 6 months, but they never stop growing!
- GAL snails are hermaphrodites. They have both male and female sexual organs, but still require another snail to mate. But there has been rare reported cases of self fertilisation!
- Snails can lay up to 200 eggs per reproductive cycle!
- They like to bury themselves in soil during the day!
I used to keep Giant African Land Snails as a teenager, and it was only last night that I decided to buy one for my girls to enjoy. My husband also kept these snails when he was a young boy. It seems that keeping these pets is a right of passage for all kids.
Would you like to keep Giant African Land Snails? Let me know in the comments below.
What Makes A Happy Cat?
Owning a cat is obviously a big responsibility, and you want to do everything that ...read more
Keep Your Dog's Coat Looking Fresh
Dogs are beautiful creatures, and make incredible pets. They'll be your new best friend and ...read more
Hate House Mess? Get An Outdoor Pet Instead
It happens to every parent at one point or another. Your little one looks up ...read more
Is Your Family Ready For A Pet Dog?
Having a family pet can be a wonderful thing, and there are so many great ...read more