Many of you may know that we have a lot of pets. 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 budgie, 10 chickens and 4 fish.
This morning we added another member to our tribe! ‘His’ name is Brian and ‘he’ is a Giant African Land Snail! GAL snails make super easy pets, great for those who don’t want to commit to a pet that requires lots of attention, or cash!
Giant Africa Land Snail facts
- GAL snails have a life expectancy of 5-10 years!
- They can grow up to 30cm in length!
- These awesome snails are herbivores and love salads and fruits!
- Maturity is reached at 6 months, but they never stop growing!
- GAL snails are hermaphrodites. They have both male and female sexual organs, but still require another snail to mate. But there has been rare reported cases of self fertilisation!
- Snails can lay up to 200 eggs per reproductive cycle!
- They like to bury themselves in soil during the day!
I used to keep Giant African Land Snails as a teenager, and it was only last night that I decided to buy one for my girls to enjoy. My husband also kept these snails when he was a young boy. It seems that keeping these pets is a right of passage for all kids.
Would you like to keep Giant African Land Snails? Let me know in the comments below.
Introducing A Puppy Into Your Home: Loving pointers for you
It’s hard to consider something more cute than a young puppy. A young kitten perhaps, ...read more
Pets Are The Perfect Companion If You Work From Home
If you work from home, run a blog, or freelance even on the side - ...read more
How To Keep The Cost Of Owning A Horse Down
When you decide to get a horse, money likely isn’t, and probably shouldn’t, be the ...read more
Tails.com Dog Food Review and try for FREE
We have 2 dogs, who are hungry ALL OF THE TIME! Dixie, is a 10 ...read more