Many of you may know that we have a lot of pets. 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 budgie, 10 chickens and 4 fish.
This morning we added another member to our tribe! ‘His’ name is Brian and ‘he’ is a Giant African Land Snail! GAL snails make super easy pets, great for those who don’t want to commit to a pet that requires lots of attention, or cash!
Giant Africa Land Snail facts
- GAL snails have a life expectancy of 5-10 years!
- They can grow up to 30cm in length!
- These awesome snails are herbivores and love salads and fruits!
- Maturity is reached at 6 months, but they never stop growing!
- GAL snails are hermaphrodites. They have both male and female sexual organs, but still require another snail to mate. But there has been rare reported cases of self fertilisation!
- Snails can lay up to 200 eggs per reproductive cycle!
- They like to bury themselves in soil during the day!
I used to keep Giant African Land Snails as a teenager, and it was only last night that I decided to buy one for my girls to enjoy. My husband also kept these snails when he was a young boy. It seems that keeping these pets is a right of passage for all kids.
Would you like to keep Giant African Land Snails? Let me know in the comments below.
Do's and Don'ts When Taking Your Dog On Holiday
Oh sure, you could leave your dog in the kennels when you go away on ...read more
Is Your Farm Ready For Bigger Animals?
Maybe you have a big farm, or maybe you just have a small holding; either ...read more
Introducing A Puppy Into Your Home: Loving pointers for you
It’s hard to consider something more cute than a young puppy. A young kitten perhaps, ...read more
Pets Are The Perfect Companion If You Work From Home
If you work from home, run a blog, or freelance even on the side - ...read more