Our phones are now often seen as one of the most important and necessary things that we own. It’s the world in our pockets. From phone calls to text messages, Facebook to Twitter, WhatsApp to Instagram, our eyes are glued to our phones all day long. Unfortunately it appears that checking your latest notification is more important than concentrating on the road around you and more important that not killing yourself or someone else.
I get so angry when I see drivers texting, or looking at their phones when driving. Scroll down to find out how to test your reaction speeds when texting and driving.
Facts To Think About
Obviously it is against the law to use your phone when driving (the law changed in 2003). That’s a no brainer. But you may not know the following UK statistics:
- There are 65,000,000 people in the UK and 83,000,000 mobile phones in use. That means that there are more phones in use in the UK than there are people.
- 25% of drivers admit to having used their mobile phones whilst driving in the last 12 months.
- 14% have admitted to taking a photo while driving.
- In 2017 33 fatalities, 90 serious injuries and 308 less serious injures were caused by phone use behind the wheel.
- Phone use and driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than drink driving.
- Slows your brake reaction speed by 18% – HumanFactors & Ergonomics Society
- Leads to a 400% increase with eyes off the road.
Test Your Texting And Driving Skills
Motoring giants Kwik Fit have released a scary (but fun) new game to test us all, just to see how well we can react to a stop sign when trying to read a text message. The game is simple, you ‘drive’ with the simulator. When you see a Stop sign, click. Your reaction speed is recorded. You will then ‘drive’ again, but trying to read a text message and answer the question. Whilst doing this, the Stop sign will show again. It’s interesting to see how much slower your reaction time is when you have a text message to read. It certainly is a very scary eye opener. As a nervous driver myself, the thought of looking at anything other than the road freaks me out, but even playing with a simulator made my palms sweaty.
You can play the game here. Let me know how you got on in the comments.
*Collaborative post with Kwik Fit*
Ways Women Can Reduce Body Hair Growth Rate
Much like the coccyx or the appendix, the hair strands on your skin are useless ...read more
5 Well-Being Benefits Of Taking Up A New Hobby
Even if your free time is limited, having hobbies is important. They allow you to ...read more
Are You A Worrier? Here Are Some Things To Think About.
Are you someone who always has something on their mind? Are you constantly having to ...read more
How CBD Can Boost Your Productivity
If you want to make sure you get the most out of every day you ...read more