As a parent and homeowner you probably feel as though you are perfectly safe when you return to your house each day, or that your loved ones are out of harms when you lock the doors behind you. This can result in you lowering your guard and forgetting the many serious threats hiding inside the comfort of your home. However, the information below outlines the problems you must consider, and how to avoid them happening. The safety and health of you and your family is of paramount importance.
Surge Of Power
With a constant rise in technology, more power is being pumped into your home every year. It’s almost guaranteed that you will find a mess of wires (probably behind the TV), completely entangled and always plugged in. Leaving your devices plugged in can cause power surges throughout your home, and chaotic knotted wires can easily set alight and cause a potentially catastrophic fire. Remember to switch every plug off when you have finished using it, or at least before heading upstairs to bed at night. Encourage your children to do the same, and explain the threat that bad plug practice can pose. Avoid excessive use of extension leads as these also carry many risks.
You will need to make sure that all electrics in your home are wired up properly, to ensure ultimate safety. Poor electrics are one of the leading causes of house fires. I’ve witnessed first hand a neighbour loose their home due to a poorly wired house. You can read more about reducing the risk of a house fire here.
Water, Water Everywhere!
You were probably told your house was water tight when you bought it, and since then have never carried out any further investigation to prove otherwise. This is a big error to make, as water inside your home can lead to many catastrophic scenarios. Having liquid inside of your walls will not only cause damage to your house and its contents, but also make you and your family more susceptible to asthma and respiratory infections from breathing mould. It’s important to take precautionary measures by damp proofing the property as soon as you are able in order to prevent any avoidable illness or destruction.
A carbon monoxide leak is potentially the most deadly hazard of all. With gas burning hobs, it’s a very easy mistake to leave the gas running when you have taken the pan away from the heat and simply forget that you have left it on. But if you do not realise for several hours, you will breathe in too much of the gas for your body to handle, and with just one spark your whole house could set ablaze. To protect yourself and your family, you must ensure that every story of your home (including the basement) has a carbon monoxide detector, that will sound an alarm signifying dangerous levels of CO. They are so cheap to purchase but can be a definite life saver.
The dangers listed above are so easily preventable, and by carrying out some precautionary measures you can ensure that you are protecting your family rather than putting them in harm’s way. Make everyone aware of the risks in your home, and work together to stay happy, healthy and comfortable, and free from anxieties and worry.
Antibacterial Soap Vs Soap Bars. What's better?
With us all washing our hands more than ever due to Coronavirus (a scary concept, ...read more
Why DNA Testing Kits Can Be So Confusing
We all yearn to know more about ourselves. However, unless your family has a resident ...read more
24 Hour Services That May Save Your Life
In the UK, we are blessed with some of the services we have on offer. ...read more
How Long Does It Take You To Stop A Car When You're Texting- Try The Game
Our phones are now often seen as one of the most important and necessary things ...read more