Happy World Soil Day, sounds weird doesn’t it?
How much do you know about soil? It’s something that most people don’t really think about. As an amateur gardener and someone who spends a LOT of time outside, I look at mud a lot. I have 3 small girls, 2 dogs and 3 cats. That muddy stuff seems to bring itself into my house too, so for me, it’s really unavoidable.
Here are a few little muddy facts to celebrate World Soil Day 2016!
- The Oxford dictionary defines soil as :[mass noun] The upper layer of earth in which plants grow, a black or dark brown material typically consisting of a mixture of organic remains, clay, and rock particles.
- There are 3 main types- clay, loamy and chalky.
- It is made from a variety of matters. Bashed up rock, sand, clay, salt, water, and organic material- such as dead rotting plants and (no longer living) beings.
- 1 handful of ‘ground dirt’ contains more living organisms than people of earth. FYI there are 7.125 billion living humans living on Earth. Wow.
- 0.1% of the Earths water is held in mud.
- It takes a minimum of 500 years to make 1 inch of top soil.
- 10% of the worlds Carbon Dioxide emissions is stored in mud. The more we did this up – via aggressive farming and construction the more Carbon Dioxide is released into our atmosphere. Global warming sucks remember.
- 15 tonnes of soil passes through an Earth worm each year!
Also, please take a moment to vote for The Newhouse Family in the UK Blog Awards. All it takes is an email address. Choose ‘Green and Eco’ in the drop-down list.
Gift Ideas For A Home-Grower
If you know a home-grower and/or budding farmer then you might be wondering what to ...read more
RSPB Release New Song As British Birds Are Vanishing From Our Skies
Over 40 million birds have vanished from UK skies in just 50 years. Today The ...read more
The Plant Pyramid At Gardener's World Live - A modern wonder of the gardening world
The Plant Pyramid, supported by Peter Seabrook, returns to the Floral Marquee at BBC Gardeners’ ...read more
How To Make Your Own Paper Plant Pots
At this time of year gardeners will sow a LOT of seeds. Its only the ...read more