A WORLD RECORD BREAKING whale is set to make its ﬁrst ever visit to Europe as part of this summer’s Sea Creatures exhibition.
The Minke whale, aﬀectionately called Hai Hai was the ﬁrst ocean mammal ever to undergo the complex plastination process developed by Gunther von Hagens in 1997 and made famous by Britpop artist Damien Hirst.
It was also the ﬁrst whale ever to be preserved showing its internal anatomy, making it an incredibly important landmark for marine education.
Hai Hai – which means Sea Sea in Chinese – is 6.2 metres in length, over 3 metres tall and has a chest circumference of more than 2.5 metres. Weighing in at 3 tonnes, the operation to preserve and plastinate the specimen took 23 months.
In May 2009, Hai Hai became beached and died on Jiaoliu Island in China, where a team from Dalian Hoﬀen Bio-Technique Co. rushed to recover the body.
It was then donated to a team of 35 professional anatomists who spent a staggering 50,382 man hours undertaking millions of surgical slices into the specimen to allow the plastination process to work.
It is estimated that for those 50,382 hours, each worker had to make two slices every second in order to complete the process.
Hai Hai will be an exciting centrepiece for the Sea Creatures exhibition, which tours London, Yorkshire, Northern Ireland and Scotland this year.
Organisers had already secured over 50 full-animal exhibits as part of the tour, but had been negotiating to bring Hai Hai to Europe for the ﬁrst time.
Sea Creatures founder, Naz Kabir, says: “We’ve already had an incredible response since tickets went on sale for this year’s tour, but we always said that adding Hai Hai to the exhibition would be the icing on the cake.
“Having a double world record-breaking exhibit that visitors would be able to see for the ﬁrst time on this continent is incredibly exciting – Hai Hai is a celebrity in the science and marine education world, and we’re delighted to be able to bring her to the UK this summer.”
Sea Creatures opens in London’s RHS Lawrence Hall on July 20th, where it will remain until August 30th. It will then visit the Royal Highland Centre in Edinburgh (Sep 21 – Oct 18), Harrogate Convention Centre (Oct 30 – Nov 28) and Titanic Exhibition Centre in Belfast (Dec 8 – Jan 2).
Tickets for the European Premiere of this blockbuster exhibition are selling out fast and is expected to be sold out before opening to the public on the 20th July 2018. Book your tickets now on the Sea Creatures Tour website here.
Hai Hai by numbers
1.1 – It cost £1.1 million to complete the plastination process
2.55 – Hai Hai’s chest circumference in metres
3 – Hai Hai’s weight in tonnes
3.08 – Hai Hai’s height in metres
6.2 – Hai Hai’s length in metres
10 – More than 10 tonnes of acetone were used in the plastination process
20 – …as well as 20 tonnes of formalin solution
60 – …and 60 tonnes of silica gel
1,000 – the process is so exact that A MILLENIUM from now, scientists would be able to extract the genetic code from Hai Hai and build a live clone.
In just 3 days the NEC in Birmingham hosts the largest baby and parenting event of the year, The Baby Show. It is an action packed weekend full of demonstrations, freebies, bargains galore and even a little celebrity spotting! We have been to nearly all of the shows over the last 5 years, and every show has been just as exciting as the first.
The Baby Show kicks off on Friday the 19th of May and closes on Sunday 21st of May. The last Baby Show at London’s Excel saw TheNewhouseFamily announce our 4th pregnancy during the show.
So, what’s on our to-do list for this weekend?
Shop for bargains-galore!
We know the gender but we are keeping it quiet for a little while longer. Luckily we have most things needed for baby from our 3 previous kids, but there are still a few items that need replacing. The Baby Show is the perfect place to grab those last few bits that you may need for your new arrival. There are a load of show-only offers that are not to be missed, and shall certainly save you a few extra quid too!
Keep your eyes peeled for these not-to-be-missed show offers:
- Gro Company- Mix n’ Match Newborn Bundle for £99, instead of RRP £170
- Funky Giraffe bibs- 7 bibs for just £10. Check out our love for Funky Giraffe here.
- Mumba Bras- Savings across the range, and even more savings on multiple buys!
- Baby Bond are offering gender scans at the show, for just £39! You will also receive a USB with stills from your scan. I had a private scan with Baby Bond in Bedford yesterday and you will find a full review on my blog very soon. A superb company who I can personally recommend!
- Haakaa UK breast pumps are raved about! I am a breastfeeding mum and I can call myself an expert in the field of pumping. Ive been lucky enough to trial a lot of pumps over the years, and while a Haakaa pump is not one that I have personally tried (yet!) I know of many, many, many ladies who all love the pump. No batteries, no plugs, no parts… it’s super simple and fool proof.
- Poddle Pod are offering 30% off of their Poddle Pod range for Baby Show visitors.
- Nuby have their Natural Touch breast pumps, sterilisers and bottles on offer at half price and their cups on 3 for £10. You can read my full review of the Nuby Natural Touch digital breast pump here. A well loved favourite of mine.
It’s not just offers that you can make the most of during the show!
- If you’re taking your baby with you, don’t waste space in your bag bringing nappies and wipes with you. Visit the Aldi Mamia Changing area where you shall be greeted with free nappies, wipes and nappy sacks for your convenience. The changing area is a beautiful safe and quiet space to change your baby in peace and quiet!
- Hungry? Refuel at the Tommee Tippee feeding area. Free organic Mamia by Aldi baby food, Tommee Tippee baby spoons and bibs for you to use. Use their bottle warmers, microwaves and perfect prep machines whenever you need them. Lots of highchairs and a spacious feeding area for the whole family. Just bring your packed lunch. 🙂
- If you’re a breastfeeding mum take advantage of the Tommee Tippee breastfeeding area, where you can find a calming atmosphere to rest your tired legs and baby can have a stress-free (and distraction free) feed, oh and free breast pads too!
- Chuck the kids in the crèche! Yup, there’s even a FREE crèche for older kids to enjoy. Packed with lots of toys and books, all sponsored by Campbell books. Enjoy some shopping, without the small ones taking your attention.
- Wondering what buggy to buy? Take some prams around a real test track! Stop by the MadeForMums Buggy Testing Track to try out a range of buggies on different surfaces and features. Grass, gravel, curbs will not go untested!
The Main Stage
- Your legs will get pretty achy from walking around all of those awesome stalls. Pick a seat at the Main Stage and sit back and enjoy the guest speakers, or the iCandy fashion show.
- The British Red Cross have a superb pop-up First Aid academy for all parents to make the most of. Learn some infant first aid, that could save your children’s lives. When you arrive at the show sign up for your FREE 30 minute baby first aid session. Learn some invaluable skills and advice for acting fast in an emergency. The wonderful tem from The British Red Cross will be showing parents how to deal with febrile seizures, burns and choking. Not something to be missed! The Baby Show is on this weekend (19-21st of May 2017) at the Birmingham NEC. Tickets are available online or at the Show ticket office on the day. Tickets are £14.45 online or £20 on the door. Kids under 14 go free. You can buy tickets online here.
Cant make the Birmingham show this weekend? Don’t worry! The Baby Show is also on 20-22 October 2017 at London’s Olympia or 2-4th March 2018 at the ExCel in London. There’s a date for everyone!