This is family favourite in our house and over time I have tweaked with the recipe. I think I have now nailed it. Like proper nailed it.
It is a simple salmon with honey and soy sauce dinner and can be prepared and eaten in lots of different ways… enjoy!
You will need.
Salmon fillets (seriously, however many you need. Is this dinner just a slap up dinner for 1 or are you trying to impress your future in-laws?)
Honey (runny is the best… Pooh bear)
Veg… or whatever…
What you need to do.
1) Start by preparing your salmon. I like to take the skins off. They literally just peel off. Simples.
2) Preheat your oven to 190*c … don’t ask me what that is in gas.. I don’t know. I barely know how to work our oven.
3) Lightly grease a baking tray. You can use oil but butter works nicely too.
4a) Whack it in the oven for 20 minutes.
4b) Forget about it. But only for 20 minutes. Unless you like black salmon.
5) Now you want to make your sauce. This too is very simples. You want approx 6 tbsp of runny honey (seriously, I never measure anything. I wing it all). If you only have set honey you can bung it in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it runny. Then add 6 tbsp of golden syrup. Mix it all together. It should still be very runny.
6) Now pour in your soy sauce. 6 tbsp of this is good. Mix it all together. If you are making this just for yourself don’t use 6 tbsp’s of ingredients. It will be too much- common sense guys. Try 3 tbsp instead. If you are an army chef and catering for all the squaddies, I recommend using the whole darn jars….
7) Have a cheeky taste… lush innit?
8) Groan, and have another cheeky taste.
9) Get your salmon out of the oven. It should still be a little undercooked. This is good. Get a frying pan and add a little oil. Place the salmon fillets in the hot pan and pour over HALF of your scrummy sauce. Cook for around 5 minutes. Using a spoon drizzle the sauce that’s in the pan already over the cooking steaks and turning the fillets over occasionally.
10) Now, I like to have some vegetables steaming while I do all of this. This is our preference. But you can have anything with yours! Chips? Mash? Noodles? Haribo? Vodka?
11) Serve up. You might want to put it on some proper posh plates (especially if your cooking to pull). Using the other half of the sauce that was left, using a spoon drizzle some over the dinner and the plate… you know how I mean, like you see in slap up restaurants or how they do it on MasterChef.
12) Sit down and eat… watch a movie… sip a glass / bottle of wine.
11) If this was to impress a sexy lady, I suggest some Barry White to top it all off.